Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Taco Seasoning

When I was growing up, taco seasoning was something out of a packet. As a new bride, I thanked heaven for the seasoning packets at the supermarket. The Vintner was only familiar with those flavors, and didn't like my attempts. Now that I'm more confident in the kitchen, I season my own tacos. I can't imagine why so many people think these flavors are so complicated. I even feel silly posting how I do this. I don't follow a specific recipe or quantity. I do leave out MSG, however, and artificial preservatives and colors. Perhaps this is what the Vintner misses.

Taco Seasoning

sea salt
freshly ground pepper
cumin
coriander seed or leaf or both
hot paprika, or ground chili pepper
tomato sauce or organic ketchup
fresh garlic or garlic powder
oregano
fresh onion or onion powder

It's all to taste. I just sprinkle it over as I go. I never make it the same way twice, just until it tastes like tacos.

No comments:

Post a Comment