Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Yearly Spice Procurement

Every year in November, I make a special shopping trip to restock the pantry spice shelf with bulk purchases of spices. I only buy the amount I need, i.e. a nickle's worth of chervil or double the amount in a spice jar for tarragon for less than half the price of one. I save a lot of money and a lot of waste not buying the standard sized spice jars at the supermarket. It took me seven years of marriage to use up the allspice jar I bought at the supermarket as a new bride. Today was the day for 2009, and I'm fully stocked for holiday cooking. I'm able to cook much better foods from scratch by maintaining a full pantry, and can do so much more cheaply than using supermarket allotments. I highly recommend searching out those merchants that offer choices in spices and making special trips - even if only once a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment