Thursday, May 9, 2013

Gluten Free Millet Rice Tapioca Tortillas

Due to the eldest child's corn intolerance, I decided to make a corn free version of tortillas.  It is in line with my pursuit of gluten free flat bread.  However, this is not for general sandwiches or dips.  This flat bread is for specific recipes.  I was trying to incorporate him into our family meals of enchiladas.  It will have other uses as well, once I perfect it. My attempt was not so pleasing as I would like.  I used way too much tapioca, I think.  While the first side cooked beautifully, when I flipped them, the second side did not brown. It remained a ghostly, unpalatable white.  I do think the millet rice combination is a goldmine for recipe development.  It will not will not do nutritionally for every day, but it may be just the blend I need for specific occasions.  The result was tortillas that could bend and be filled.  It was definitely closer to a corn tortilla than  a wheat tortilla for making enchiladas, in texture.  It was like neither in flavor.

1/3 c. millet
1/3 c. white rice
1/3 c. tapioca
a pinch of salt
1/2 c.water, or more

Blend the flours with the starch and the salt.  Gradually add in water, until a thin batter is formed.  A very thin crepe-like batter is desirable.  Gluten free batters should be thinner than a gluten batter, to prevent dryness in the final product.  Pour the batter by quarter cup spoonfuls into a six inch skillet over high heat.  Flip the tortilla when the first side is slightly browned.  There will not be bubbles forming, as would with pancakes.  Remove from heat.  Continue with all the batter.


No comments:

Post a Comment