Friday, June 21, 2013

Tweaking the Millet Rice Crepes Recipe

The texture and color of the millet rice crepes continues to be superior.  I have found it.  Repeat batches only confirms my first impression.  I could serve this to a general crowd without apologizing that it is gluten free.  Now, it's time to add in the additional magic: soaking the batter overnight.

Really, it only means making the batter ahead of time.  Any mother should be clued into this technique.  Instead of trying to do everything at once, break down tasks into steps.  Do as many of the steps ahead of time.  It's a far greater time saver than always defrosting in the microwave or ordering take out.  Those convenience options only add in more time on the shopping or the waiting or picking up the take out.  They are a false economy.

One of the extra benefits to soaking overnight comes from lacto-fermentation.  It transforms the texture from ordinary to sublime.  It's the secret the French aren't letting the rest of the world in on.  Just a reminder: it's not complicated.  I add in some live culture whey from my plain yogurt to the recipe and let it sit.  Just a few hours in the yoghurt maker, longer at room temperature - I don't have to do anything skill-wise.

I've been distracted from my lacto-fermentation, during my transition to gluten free.  Since the allergy concerns were paramount, I knew I had to focus on how we could live as a family.  Plus, none of the other gluten free sites concerned themselves with my interest.  Perhaps there might have been a token nod or a passing response.  Maintaining one's conventional life, but with a gluten free twist, seems to be the most common approach.  Few of the traditional food sites address celiac disease or other allergens.

I'm not reporting here on my success. I'm writing mostly to remind myself to do it.  Not to loose focus or get distracted - there is a wonderful reward at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment