Monday, February 1, 2010

A Busy Weekend of Lacto-Fermenting

On Saturday, I resumed lacto-fermenting with vigor. Two beverages - a second attempt at lemonade - yogurt, kedgeree, crepe batter took over my kitchen. The crepes were perfect; I finally discovered the "secret" is the traditional method of soaking the flour overnight in milk and live-culture whey. It was perfectly bubbly and sublime Sunday morning. So easy and quick in the morning! For late morning, we had kedgree: the best I've ever made. Again, soaking overnight in whey is the secret for both easier and better results. The beverages should be ready to sample today. Also, I baked a loaf of long-rise sourdough. I can't commend enough the traditional method of lacto-fermenting. How much we have lost in our modern kitchens by abandoning the super-secret!

Today would be the day for the food factory, but we'll be out and about with first of the month errands. Conveniently, I made the yogurt on Saturday, and will just skip making stock today.

No comments:

Post a Comment