Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Pondering Flax Ratios in Gluten Free Flat Bread

I've made two gluten free flat breads so far in the last week.  I tried a sorghum millet flax blend and a millet blend.  I am not excited about a rice flax bread, since we already have so much rice in our diet.  I'm hoping that 100% flax will work.  I've heard a good recommendation from a friend who read Wheat Belly and tried the recipe in the book.  She has a microwave; I don't have a working one.  I am not interested in buying another microwave, but would rather make one in the oven.  I'm going to try it today.  From there, I think I'll try some sprouted whole grains.  I have some whole sorghum, waiting for a good recipe. I've heard of gluten free oat flour, but I hesitate there.  Since the Vintner has true celiac disease, even the gluten free, non-cross contaminated oats may be an unnecessary strain for him.  I'm not too keen on having large amounts of grain or insoluble fiber in my diet, either.  I'd rather have vegetables be my fiber source.

Also, I don't want all the gums and trickery to make the flat bread.  I'm aware that many traditional cultures have flat breads, and many of those are gluten free.  I'd love to stumble on some grandmother's recipe that's basic and nourishing both emotionally and physically.  I'm not looking to replace processed modern products, but rather introduce a pleasant way to keep grains in our diet.  I'm tired of the gluten free tomfoolery.  I accept that gluten free doesn't mean maintaining an industrial, processed diet.  It means getting free of packaged food and into real, wholesome food, like meat, vegetables, dairy, nuts and fruit.  There's a place for some grain from traditional sources without being carb-tastic.  We're not talking about going Paleo.  Here at the vineyard, we're looking for an old-fashioned approach.  That rules out ersatz bagels.

No comments:

Post a Comment