Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Wheat and Sugar

I've been reading Fat Chance and Wheat Belly.  I'm glad that I've already decided to let go of my sour dough starter.  I'm only just starting Wheat Belly, but so far it's a better read.  Fat Chance was easier to absorb in the beginning, since I've already begun the process of weaning off sugar.  I'm not a sweet drinks person, just a spoonful in my tea or coffee, but I stopped that earlier this year.  Wheat-free will be new for more than a few meals.

I imagine that eating a traditional diet will be rather easy with this new approach.  I'm not going to be restrictive.  I don't need to be.  I'm just making more space in my diet for even more fresh fruits and vegetables, the highest quality meats and dairy I can afford, fats I love like butter, olive oil and coconut oil.  I'm not leaving as much room for wheat, corn, soy, sugar or processed food in general.

With the Vintner suffering from celiac disease, it's not a big challenge to go gluten free now.  However, for me it's a choice, not a life-saving measure.  I'm in good health.  I don't have much reason to worry, other than a few extra pounds.  Now that the baby years are behind me, I can think of my body for my own nutrition and health.  I don't have to prioritize for their needs, as of the last four months.  It's a good time for me to think of building my post-childbearing years' health.

No comments:

Post a Comment